J&K MLAs cry foul over delay in construction of bridges
Srinagar: Two MLAs in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly today claimed that bridge construction in their constituencies has been delayed due to sighting of a snake and snowfall around construction site, among other reasons.
"I was told that the work on Brancha bridge in my (Rajpora) constituency could not be completed as a snake was seen there," Opposition PDP MLA Syed Bashir claimed.
He said, work on the bridge started in 2007 but has not been completed yet.
Ruling National Conference`s Sopore MLA, Mohammad Ashraf Ganaie said that while the work on bypass bridge in his constituency was taken up 11 years ago, it is yet to see the light of the day.
"I was told the work could not be completed due to earthquake. The other reasons given were snowfall and floods. Is Sopore the only place, where snowfall takes place?" Ganaie asked.
Roads and Buildings Minister Abdul Majid Wani, said Border Road Organisation (BRO) was constructing the bridge in Sopore and a final notice has been served to it for completing the work.
Wani also said the BRO had sought compensation for cost escalation due to delay in the work, which has been provided, after CM Omar Abdullah took up the matter with the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened