J&K orders blackout of anti-Islam film
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir Government on Thursday directed internet and telecom service providers to take all measures, including blocking `YouTube` and ‘Facebook` if needed, to ensure that a controversial film deemed offensive to Islam is not accessible to subscribers in the state.
The order to this effect was issued by the state Home Department, invoking the powers conferred under Section 5(2) of the Indian Telegraph Act 1885.
"In the interest of public safety and for maintaining public order, the government directed all licensed Telecom Service Providers and Internet Service Providers to make arrangements to ensure that their subscribers in Jammu and Kashmir should not be able to download or upload the contents" with regard to the video, the order says.
"They shall also ensure that the bulk mails that are being generated from their subscribers do not contain this file/versions of this file and the content and in case of suspicion (or) detection, the same shall be blocked and filtered," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’