J&K police announces cash reward for IED detection
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir police on Friday announced a cash reward of Rs 50,000 to be shared by the bomb disposal squad and the three-wheeler driver whose timely information about an IED-laden car averted a major tragedy here yesterday.
The reward of Rs 20,000 for the auto driver was announced by Inspector General of police, Kashmir, SM Sahai after inspecting the seized vehicle at Nowgam police station.
Sahai also announced Rs 10,000 each for the three members of the disposal squad which defused and later destroyed the IED.
A major tragedy was averted by police late yesterday when it defused and later destroyed a huge Improvised Explosive Device (IED) planted inside a car near Chanapora bridge.
The IED was planted in two cylinders, one pressure cooker and one canister.
"The detection was possible because general public is providing support and information and in this case an auto driver informed the police regarding the abandoned vehicle," Sahai said.
The IGP said the IED resembled one which was used for the assassination of Jamiat-e-Ahlihadees president Maulana Showkat Ahmad Shah in Srinagar last year.
"Although police has been able to eliminate and nab militant experts in preparing IEDs, some of them are still to be nabbed," Sahai said.
He said, "it is these militants who are involved in making of such type of IEDs.
"It is the militants from outside the Srinagar which are involved in such incidents and other subversive activities in Srinagar," the IGP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!