J&K police arrests stone-pelter
Srinagar: Continuing its crackdown against the protesters in Kashmir Valley, police on Saturday said it has
arrested a "wanted stone-pelter" in Kashmir`s Baramulla district.
Nissar Ahmad Bhat, a resident of Singhpora near Pattan town of Baramulla district, was arrested today, a police spokesman said.
"He is involved in various stone pelting cases and had been evading arrest since long," he said.
Bhat`s arrest is part of a crackdown on protesters involved in stone-pelting on police and security forces during last year`s summer unrest.
Over the last one year police has arrested 4,064 people in Kashmir valley, according to state government, many of them were nabbed for their alleged involvement in last year`s unrest.
A total of 137 persons have been detained in the state last year under the Public Safety Act (PSA) which provides for detention of a person for up to two years without any trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj