J&K police arrests stone-pelter
Srinagar: Continuing its crackdown against the protesters in Kashmir Valley, police on Saturday said it has
arrested a "wanted stone-pelter" in Kashmir`s Baramulla district.
Nissar Ahmad Bhat, a resident of Singhpora near Pattan town of Baramulla district, was arrested today, a police spokesman said.
"He is involved in various stone pelting cases and had been evading arrest since long," he said.
Bhat`s arrest is part of a crackdown on protesters involved in stone-pelting on police and security forces during last year`s summer unrest.
Over the last one year police has arrested 4,064 people in Kashmir valley, according to state government, many of them were nabbed for their alleged involvement in last year`s unrest.
A total of 137 persons have been detained in the state last year under the Public Safety Act (PSA) which provides for detention of a person for up to two years without any trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary - Part II
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary - Part III
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary - Part IV
- Woman delivers in Delhi Police PCR van, both mother and child safe
- IPL 2016 Final: SunRisers Hyderabad defeat Royal Challengers Bangalore by 8 runs to win maiden title
- Coal auction to get Rs 3.45 lakh crore; Rs 36k crore saving via DBT: Government
- Hardik Patel calls for stir against donations to schools, colleges in Gujarat
- Perez grabs 3rd spot, gives Force India 4th ever podium finish