J&K police fire in air to disperse protesting crowd at Lal Chowk
Srinagar: Police today fired in the air to
disperse a crowd of protesters resisting the arrest of an
alleged stone-pelter in Abi Guzar area near Lal Chowk,
A police party, which was tracking Mohammad Altaf Sheikh,
picked him up from Abi Guzar area near Lal Chowk this evening,
However, a group of youth tried to resist the arrest
by shouting slogans, forcing the police to fire warning shots,
Although no one was hurt in the incident, the firing
caused panic among the passers-by, who ran fearing a militant
attack, they said.
The shopkeepers in Lal Chowk, Resident Road, Regal
Chowk and Maulana Azad Road downed their shutters while
vehicles took alternative routes.
Normalcy was restored in most parts of the commercial
centre within minutes after the apprehensions about militant
attack were dispelled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’