J&K police fire in air to disperse protesting crowd at Lal Chowk
Srinagar: Police today fired in the air to
disperse a crowd of protesters resisting the arrest of an
alleged stone-pelter in Abi Guzar area near Lal Chowk,
A police party, which was tracking Mohammad Altaf Sheikh,
picked him up from Abi Guzar area near Lal Chowk this evening,
However, a group of youth tried to resist the arrest
by shouting slogans, forcing the police to fire warning shots,
Although no one was hurt in the incident, the firing
caused panic among the passers-by, who ran fearing a militant
attack, they said.
The shopkeepers in Lal Chowk, Resident Road, Regal
Chowk and Maulana Azad Road downed their shutters while
vehicles took alternative routes.
Normalcy was restored in most parts of the commercial
centre within minutes after the apprehensions about militant
attack were dispelled.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!