J&K police fire in air to disperse protesting crowd at Lal Chowk
Srinagar: Police today fired in the air to
disperse a crowd of protesters resisting the arrest of an
alleged stone-pelter in Abi Guzar area near Lal Chowk,
A police party, which was tracking Mohammad Altaf Sheikh,
picked him up from Abi Guzar area near Lal Chowk this evening,
However, a group of youth tried to resist the arrest
by shouting slogans, forcing the police to fire warning shots,
Although no one was hurt in the incident, the firing
caused panic among the passers-by, who ran fearing a militant
attack, they said.
The shopkeepers in Lal Chowk, Resident Road, Regal
Chowk and Maulana Azad Road downed their shutters while
vehicles took alternative routes.
Normalcy was restored in most parts of the commercial
centre within minutes after the apprehensions about militant
attack were dispelled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth