J&K police fire in air to disperse protesting crowd at Lal Chowk
Srinagar: Police today fired in the air to
disperse a crowd of protesters resisting the arrest of an
alleged stone-pelter in Abi Guzar area near Lal Chowk,
A police party, which was tracking Mohammad Altaf Sheikh,
picked him up from Abi Guzar area near Lal Chowk this evening,
However, a group of youth tried to resist the arrest
by shouting slogans, forcing the police to fire warning shots,
Although no one was hurt in the incident, the firing
caused panic among the passers-by, who ran fearing a militant
attack, they said.
The shopkeepers in Lal Chowk, Resident Road, Regal
Chowk and Maulana Azad Road downed their shutters while
vehicles took alternative routes.
Normalcy was restored in most parts of the commercial
centre within minutes after the apprehensions about militant
attack were dispelled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?