J&K police officer arrested for `molesting` teenager
Srinagar: A police officer has been arrested on charges of molesting a 13-year-old girl in Anantnag district of Jammu and Kashmir, police said Wednesday.
"Inspector Aijaz Ahmad has been arrested following a complaint about sexual assault on a minor girl in Kokernag area of Anantnag district yesterday," a police spokesman said.
The officer has been booked under Section 354 RPC (outraging modesty) and Section 341 RPC (illegal confinement).
Ahmad was arrested after local residents of Deesu village in Kokernag came to the rescue of the girl, who raised an alarm following his attempt to rape her last evening.
Locals staged protests this morning over the issue and demanded the officer be dismissed from service, police said.
The situation has been brought under control but continues to be tense, the police said.
According to the complaint, the victim`s father - who was friends with the police officer - had invited the latter for a cup of tea to his home.
The victim`s father went to the market to buy some groceries, asking his daughter to serve tea to the guest. The officer allegedly took advantage of the situation and tried to force himself on the girl, who raised an alarm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?