J&K: Police use teargas shells to disperse stone-pelters
Srinagar: Police burst teargas shells and used
batons to disperse stone-pelting protestors at Maisuma in the
heart of the city this afternoon, official sources said.
The trouble started when a group of youth took to the
streets in the sensitive locality, which also houses the
headquarters of JKLF, and attacked a police vehicle with
stones, they said.
Police and CRPF reinforcements immediately rushed to the
scene and chased away the stone-pelters, using batons and
However, no one was injured in the ensuing clashes, which
brought vehicular movement through the area to a standstill,
the sources said.
A police spokesman said security forces exercised
restraint while dealing with the situation.
"Miscreants attempted to disrupt peace by resorting to
stone pelting on the security force personnel. They were
chased and the situation was brought under control," the
spokesman said adding vehicular movement was later restored.
A group of youth also took to the streets in Nowgam area
on the outskirts of the city and tried to block the traffic on
However, the timely intervention of police brought the
situation under control, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list