J&K: Protesters defy curfew, stop train in Sopore
Srinagar: Defying curfew, people on Saturday
staged protests against the killing of two youths allegedly in
CRPF firing on a mob and stopped Baramulla-Qazigund train in
Sopore town of Kashmir Valley, where a separatists-sponsored
bandh affected normal life in major towns.
Police said no one was injured in the incident and the
train suffered no damage as a result of the blockade by
protesters in Sopore, 55 kms from here, in north Kashmir.
Indefinite curfew was clamped in the town last evening
when hundreds of people took to streets, set ablaze a security
vehicle, damaged a bunker and attacked the local police
station, demanding action against the CRPF personnel.
Groups of people defied curfew and staged demonstrations
at Hathishah Mohalla, Jamia Kadeem and Krankshivan and pelted
stones on security personnel. However, there was no report of
Officials said the train service was suspended by the
Northern Railways as a precautionary measure in view of stone
pelting incidents at some places in Sopore.
"We had already taken safety measures in view of stone
pelting in Sopore. The morning train which had to pass Sopore
could not do so," senior commandant railway protection force S
K Saini said.
He appealed to the people not to disrupt the service.
"The train commuters are mostly students appearing in
the exams and entrance examinations," Saini told PTI.
The train service was inaugurated by the Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh in 2008 and turned out to be a popular means of
transport, being cheaper and less time consuming.
Protesting against the Sopore incident, separatists
had given a call for Kashmir bandh today. Shops and business
establishments remained closed in Srinagar and other major
towns of the valley and traffic was thin.
However, attendance in government offices, educational
institutions and semi-government offices was near normal and
examinations of the state board and university are being held
as per schedule, the sources said.
Meanwhile, bodies of two militants killed in the
encounter at Krankshivan that had sparked violent protests
yesterday were buried at Bijhama-Sopore, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly