J&K raises cash reward for information on female foeticide
Jammu: Alarmed over the skewed sex ratio in the state, the Jammu and Kashmir government has increased the cash reward from Rs 25,000 to Rs 50,000 to those who provide information on doctors or families involved in female foeticide.
"The census figures are quite alarming as there are 883 females to per 1,000 males in Jammu and Kashmir," Minister for Health, Horticulture and Floriculture, Sham Lal Sharma said in a function here today.
"Strengthening measures to curb the menace of illegal sex determination in various Ultra Sound centres across the state, the government has enhanced the reward from Rs 25,000 to Rs 50,000 for people providing information in this connection," he said.
Sham called for public support to check cases of female foeticide.
He asked people particularly health officials to create awareness among the masses against female foeticide and gender inequality.
Calling for tough measures against people responsible for the menace, the minister said registration of clinics, who do the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal sex Determination Techniques (PCPNDT) Act, should be cancelled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- UEFA Champions League 2016-17 draw; Player of the Year award ceremony — As it happened...
- Kannada actress Ramya attacked with eggs in Mangaluru over 'pro-Pak remarks'
- AFC Ajax keeper Jasper Cillessen joins Barcelona
- Nashik farmer gets 5 paise per kg for onions!
- China faces 1-year ban from weightlifting over doping