J&K raises cash reward for information on female foeticide
Jammu: Alarmed over the skewed sex ratio in the state, the Jammu and Kashmir government has increased the cash reward from Rs 25,000 to Rs 50,000 to those who provide information on doctors or families involved in female foeticide.
"The census figures are quite alarming as there are 883 females to per 1,000 males in Jammu and Kashmir," Minister for Health, Horticulture and Floriculture, Sham Lal Sharma said in a function here today.
"Strengthening measures to curb the menace of illegal sex determination in various Ultra Sound centres across the state, the government has enhanced the reward from Rs 25,000 to Rs 50,000 for people providing information in this connection," he said.
Sham called for public support to check cases of female foeticide.
He asked people particularly health officials to create awareness among the masses against female foeticide and gender inequality.
Calling for tough measures against people responsible for the menace, the minister said registration of clinics, who do the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal sex Determination Techniques (PCPNDT) Act, should be cancelled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre