J&K receives fresh snowfall, avalanche warning issued
Srinagar: Kashmir Valley received a fresh
spell of snowfall forcing closure of the Srinagar-Jammu national highway even as authorities issued a medium danger
avalanche warning in many parts of the Valley, including in
upper reaches of Gulmarg skiing resort.
Fresh overnight snowfall around Jawahar tunnel and
landslides at Digdole and Panthal, 134 kms from here, have
resulted in closure of the 294-km-long highway, an official of
the traffic control room said.
Continuous rains and snowfall was hampering road
clearance operations, he said.
Summer capital Srinagar also witnessed a spell of
moderate snowfall since last night resulting in inundated
roads and traffic snarls.
Earlier, authorities issued a medium danger avalanche
warning in many parts of the Valley.
"On the basis of inputs received from the Snow and
Avalanche Study Establishment (SASE), medium danger avalanche
warning exists in snowbound areas above 2500 metre altitude,"
a senior official said.
He said the areas where possibility of avalanche has
increased, following fresh snowfall, include Anantnag,
Banihal, Kishtwar, Shopian, Kulgam, Pulwama, Gulmarg, Naugam,
Baramula, Uri, Kupwara, Tangdhar, Keran, Machhil, Bandipur,
Gurez, Drass and Kargil.
"People living in these areas are advised not to
venture in steep avalanche prone slopes till 8 PM today," the
He also advised the people to keep clearing the snow
from roof tops of their houses to avoid any causality due to
The official said fresh snowfall was experienced in
several areas of north Kashmir.
"At Gulmarg, at least one foot of fresh snowfall has
accumulated, while in Gurez it has crossed the 14 inch mark.
Snowfall is going on at Kulan (4 inches), Sonamarg (6
inches) and Tangmarg (4 inches)," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed