J&K releases 44 youths held in connection with stone-pelting cases
Srinagar: Authorities here on Tuesday released at least 44 youths, who were arrested in connection with cases of stone-pelting in Srinagar city, as a goodwill gesture on the occasion of Eid-ul Fitr.
The youths were released as a pilot project for general amnesty for stone pelters. The amnesty scheme is under active consideration of the Jammu and Kashmir government, a senior official said.
In the aftermath of the Lok Sabha polls debacle, ruling National Conference president Farooq Abdullah had asked the state government to consider an amnesty for the youths involved in stone-pelting cases.
Police handed over to their parents 11 youths residing in areas falling under the jurisdiction of Nowhatta police station, 11 in Safakadal police station, 10 from Khanyar police station, nine from?Maharaj Gunj and three from Rainawari police station areas.
The official said police will keep an eye on the activities of these youths.
"If the results from this batch are encouraging, there is a possibility of more youths being released in the coming days," the official added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists