J&K: Relief from cold as mercury goes up
Srinagar: People in Kashmir got some respite
from intense cold Tuesday as the night temperature shot up by several notches across the region.
The skiing resort of Gulmarg was the coldest place in the
valley today, recording a minimum of minus 10 degrees Celsius
against yesterday`s minus 12.5 degrees Celsius.
The summer capital of Srinagar, which remained under a
cloud cover today, recorded a low of minus 1.5 degrees Celsius
compared to yesterday`s minus 5 degrees Celsius. The city had
registered a high of 9.2 degrees Celsius yesterday owing to
Kargil district, which was the coldest place in the state
yesterday with the minimum plunging to 25 degrees below
freezing point, also witnessed an increase of two degrees.
The minimum temperature in the cold desert of Ladakh
settled at minus 22.8 degrees Celsius, a spokesman of the MET
office said, adding that the nearby Leh town recorded a low of
minus 23.4 degrees Celsius making it the coldest recorded
place in the state today.
Hill resort of Pahalgam, which serves as the base camp
for annual Amarnath yatra, recorded a low of minus 9.0 degrees
Celsius with an increase of five degrees against the previous
night, the spokesman said.
Similarly, Qazigund town, the gateway to Kashmir valley,
also registered an increase of four degrees in the night
temperature which settled at minus 6.0 degrees Celsius.
The spokesman said Kupwara in north Kashmir was warmer than Srinagar as the night temperature there settled at minus 1.3 degrees Celsius. The town had recorded a low of minus 6.5 degrees Celsius yesterday.
`Chillai Kalan`, considered to be the harshest 40-day
period of winter in Kashmir valley, completed its tenure
yesterday, providing relief to the people who witnessed a
harsh winter this time after a gap of over two decades.
The cold wave in the Valley began a bit earlier this year
than the normal period of `Chillai Kalan` due to snowfall in
the November, that continued in the plains and upper reaches
of the valley for the past two months.
The temperatures mostly stayed below freezing point
across the valley, partially freezing many of the water bodies
including Dal Lake, water supply pipes and farming icicles.
While residents heaved a sigh of relief over the passage
of Chillai Kalan, the farming community expressed satisfaction
over the heavy snowfall during the period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?