J&K: Relief operation launched in quake-hit areas
Jammu: With a series of quakes in Bhaderwah and adjoining areas triggering panic among locals, the Jammu and Kashmir government has launched relief and rescue operations in the affected areas even as tremors jolted the valley for the third day on Thursday.
"The rescue and relief operation was launched by the district and divisional level authorities in the earthquake hit areas of Jammu region, particularly Bhaderwah valley", an official spokesman said.
Chief Secretary Mohd Iqbal Khanday has directed Jammu`s Divisional Commissioner to monitor the operations.
Bhaderwah Valley has witnessed 15 tremors in the past three days with maximum 11 on Wednesday. While one tremor struck Bhadwerwah on April 31, 11 were felt on Wednesday and three on Thursday. Two persons were killed and 69 others injured after Wednesday`s repeated tremors.
The most recent tremor was felt this morning at 6.04 AM, followed by two aftershocks of lesser intensity. The first quake measured 4.2 on the Richter Scale.
Divisional Commissioner, Jammu, Pradeep Gupta who is supervising the relief and rescue operation, has dispatched 20 tents and 100 blankets to be provided to the people rendered homeless in the affected areas.
All District Development Commissioners (DDC)s have been directed to constitute Tehsil Level Officers teams to conduct detailed assessment of human loss and property, if any.
The district administrations have also been asked to activate Civil Defence Organisation and Red Cross Volunteers to lend hand in relief and rescue operations.
J&K Home Minister Sajjad Kitchloo, Divisional Commissioner Pradeep Gupta and IGP Jammu Zone Rajesh Kumar visited the most affected areas of Bhaderwah belt and supervised the relief operation on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray