J&K SAC begins probe into irregularities case
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir State Accountability Commission (SAC) has begun an enquiry against cooperatives minister following allegations of embezzlement of crores of rupees and illegal appointments in the department.
"On consideration of the matter, we find a prima facie case is made out for regular enquiry. Accordingly we proceed to hold a regular enquiry against cooperative department minister Manohar Lal Sharma and other officers named in the compliant," a division bench of SAC said in its order passed yesterday.
The bench comprising SAC chairman Justice Y P Nargotra and Justice Hakim Imtiyaz Hussain said it appears the earlier management of JK cooperative housing corporation has not made expenditure of the development funds in a judicious way which has resulted in financial mismanagement.
"It appears that gross irregularities have been committed by the officers of the cooperative housing corporation and the minister for cooperative department has failed to exercise an effective control over the functioning of the corporation. This would show there was lack of proper control and inaction on the part of minister concerned," the order reads.
SAC has directed state vigilance organisation, which is also probing the case, to inform it about the present status of the investigation.
It also issued notices for personal appearance, or through their counsels, to the minister and several officials including the then commissioner secretary cooperative department, the then registrar cooperatives, former and present managing directors of the cooperative housing corporation, chairman Jammu central cooperative bank, in-charge co-operative bank Srinagar, Baramulla and assistant registrar cooperative department.
According to a complaint by Farooq Ahmad Dar and Sunil Sharma, a departmental inquiry had revealed massive embezzlement to the tune of hundreds of crores but no action was taken after that.
The complainants have also alleged that the minister and his officers appointed 387 employees illegally.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case