J&K school bus mishap toll rises to 8
Srinagar: Eight students were killed and nine others injured when a school bus skidded off a mountain road and fell into a 300-feet gorge in Anantnag district of south Kashmir on Thursday, official sources said.
"Eight students have died in the accident while the injured are undergoing treatment in various hospitals," Deputy Commissioner, Anantnag, Farooq Ahmad Lone said.
The mishap took place at Kandiwara near Kokernag, 70 kms from here, when the driver of the bus lost control while negotiating a blind curve, the sources said.
They said the bus was on its way to Kokernag from Diyalgam to drop students of a private high school when the accident took place.
Rescue teams, comprising of locals and police, immediately swung into action and recovered bodies of four children, including a girl and evacuated 13 others including the driver to district hospital Anantnag, where four more children succumbed to injuries.
Among the injured, eight children and the driver have been referred to Srinagar for specialised treatment as their condition was stated to be critical, the sources said.
Meanwhile, Peoples Democratic party (PDP) and State unit of CPI(M) expressed profound grief and anguish over the road accident and asked the government to provide free of cost medical treatment to the injured students and ex-gratia relief to the families of the deceased students.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference