J&K: Scribes covering protests beaten up, detained
Srinagar: Three journalists were allegedly
thrashed by police and CRPF personnel and another was detained
while covering protests in the old city here.
Shahid Tantray, a photojournalist working for Dainik
Bhaskar, was detained at Nowhatta police station while he was
covering a protest in the old city.
Nowhatta police station SHO Iqbal Shah confirmed Tantray
was detained during protests but did not say the journalists
were beaten up too.
Two photojournalists and a video journalist were admitted
to a hospital after they were allegedly thrashed by police and
CRPF personnel while they were covering the protests in Saraf
Kadal locality of the city.
Umer Mehraj, who works as a videojournalist for
Associated Press Televison News (APTN), Yawar Kabli and
Showkat Shafi -- both freelance photojournalists, were rushed
to SKIMS hospital Soura after suffering bouts of vomiting.
Talking to agncy over the phone from hospital, one of the
injured journalists said, they were "ruthlessly" beaten by
CRPF and police while parking a motorcycle.
"There was a protest and just when we reached there and
were parking our motorcycle, police and CRPF started
ruthlessly beating us with sticks and rifle butts," the
injured photojournalist said.
Kashmir Photojournalists Association (KPA) has condemned
the attack on the scribes.
In August, two photojournalists, including a foreign
national Narciso Contreras working for California-based Zuma
Press were allegedly detained and beaten by the CRPF and
police while they were covering a demonstration at the
Nowhatta locality in the Old City.
Protests had erupted in parts of Srinagar`s old city
after hardline Hurriyat led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani had
called for a shutdown and protests against the detention of
minors in Kashmir valley today.
The injured journalist said the videocamera belonging
to APTN`s Mehraj was smashed by the police personnel.
Superintendent of Police (North City) Showket Shah said
he has no knowledge of the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof