J&K security situation `very fragile`: Top Army commander
Jammu: Terming the security situation in Jammu and Kashmir "very fragile" as the state was passing through a sensitive stage of transformation, a top Army official on Wednesday said the terror attacks on sarpanchs and civilians are a cause of worry.
General Officer Commanding-in-Chief (GOC-in-C), Northern Command, Lt Gen KT Parnaik said, "We (state) are transforming from high intensity proxy war to lower levels of violence but the situation never the less is very fragile."
He cautioned against "triggers" which could alter the situation in a short span of time.
"The security situation in the state today as general-- I would say is passing through a sensitive stage of transformation," Lt Gen KT Parnaik told reporters.
Lt Gen Parnaik, who inaugurated a three-day mela organised by the army in Nowshera border belt, 130 kms from here, was replying to questions on security situation inside and border areas of the state.
"Therefore, there are three things which are important-- first thing-- ability to check and prevent infiltration-- to that extent we have strengthen our deployment along LoC and we are ensuring that maximum infiltration attempts are negated," he said.
Lt Gen Parnaik further said "however, some infiltration bids do succeed and as result there is influx of some new terrorists in the state-- but they have not been able to create any perceptible violence".
"The worry is that they have been targetting police, sarpanches and other civilians-- it is a cause of worry," he said adding "the need of the day is to dominate areas and not to allow resurgence of terrorism in the state that is our focus".
Regarding another question about the killing of militants this year, he said that 44 militants have been killed and 24 have been arrested in 2012. The militants have been neutralised, their leadership have also been eliminated and infiltration is down, he added.
When asked about the revocation of Armed forces Special
Powers Act (AFSPA), Lt Gen Parnaik said "I have been repeatedly answering this question-- we have already presented our viewpoint to the state and the central government over the issue-- it is upto Centre to take the decision on it".
"But I do not want that there should be confrontation over the issue," he said and questioned whether people want peace to prevail in the state and the peace is already prevailing.
"Our endeavour is to continue such activities to ensure that militants do not get any space to create such a situation which was witnessed in 1990-2003," he said adding "our aim is to stamp out terrorism and when the level of terrorism will fall, the government will able to focus on development and progress".
Replying to another question about the place of arrest of suspect of Kandahar hijacking case, Mehrajuddin Wani alias Javed Daand, he said that he was arrested from Kishtwar in a joint operation of Army and police on the information provided by the Intelligence Agencies.
"He is being interrogated at JIC and once the interrogation is complete, things about him would be cleared," he said.
Replying to the question about his involvement in hijacking case from Nepal to Kandhar, Lt Gen Parnaik said "it is being said".
He said that Javed is an old militant and involved in number of events. He has been in Pakistan and Nepal so there is a lot to know about him.
Referring to another question about security concerns due to detection of tunnel in Indian territory in Samba sector from Pakistan, he said "International Border (IB) is under BSF-- BSF is investigating into it with intelligence agencies".
"Army will provide full help whenever they asked for as it is a serious development," he added.
There is also concern that on one side the hand of friendship is being extended (by Pakistan) and on the other side such acts are being done which is against the spirit of Confidence Building Measures, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly