J&K separatist leaders put under house arrest
Srinagar: All prominent separatist leaders, including Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik were today placed under house arrest following a call for protests after Friday prayers against the killing of a youth in Bandipora on Tuesday.
Police sources said Geelani, Mirwaiz, Malik, Shabir Ahmad Shah, Nayeem Ahmad Khan and Zaffar Akbar Bhat were placed under house arrest since last evening as a preventive measure to maintain law and order in the Valley.
While Geelani had called for "raising voice against killing of innocent people" during the Friday prayers, Malik had asked people to march to the local office of the United Nations Military Observers Group at Sonawar.
The protests were called against the killing of Hilal Ahmad Dar in army firing at bandipora on Tuesday night.
Geelani has called for a general strike against Dar`s killing tomorrow. The strike call has been supported by Kashmir High Court Bar Association also.
While the Army is maintaining that the youth was killed during an encounter, his family and local residents deny Dar was involved in militancy and alleged that he was taken into custody before being killed.
For more than a day after the incident, the army remained steadfast that it was not going to inquire into the incident but made a turnaround yesterday after Defence Minister A K Antony ordered a probe.
The state government has ordered a magisterial probe to ascertain the circumstances in which Dar was killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda