J&K Speaker gives nod to police for ex-minister Shabir Khan`s arrest
Jammu: In more trouble for former Health Minister Shabir Khan, the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly Speaker on Monday gave his nod to police for the MLA`s arrest on molestation charges, saying they should act according to law.
"Police had come with a warrant yesterday (for arrest of Khan). I told them (police) you go according to law," Speaker Mubarak Gul told reporters on the opening day of the budget session of the Assembly here.
Asked whether police has sought his permission to arrest the sacked minister, he said, "It is not necessary that I will give permission but it is necessary to seek permission of the Assembly Speaker about the arrest of any member of this House.
"When the police came to my office with warrant, I told them you go according to law", he said.
Asked if the former minister has gone into hiding, he said, "It is not a question for the speaker to reply. You can go and ask government".
The Dy SP and SHO of the area (under whose operational area the alleged crime took place), had come to me yesterday with the warrant, he said, adding that they "delivered a copy of the warrant in my office and sought written permission".
It is mandatory for police to inform the Speaker with regard to the arrest of any member, he said.
Khan had resigned on February 7, a day after he was booked by police on a complaint by a lady doctor, alleging that he made an attempt to molest her in his office.
The MLA from Rajouri and Minister of State for Health had submitted his resignation to Chief Minister Omar Abdullah who forwarded it to Governor NN Vohra.
On February 8, a court in Srinagar had issued an arrest warrant against Khan in connection with the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report