J&K Speaker gives nod to police for ex-minister Shabir Khan`s arrest
Jammu: In more trouble for former Health Minister Shabir Khan, the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly Speaker on Monday gave his nod to police for the MLA`s arrest on molestation charges, saying they should act according to law.
"Police had come with a warrant yesterday (for arrest of Khan). I told them (police) you go according to law," Speaker Mubarak Gul told reporters on the opening day of the budget session of the Assembly here.
Asked whether police has sought his permission to arrest the sacked minister, he said, "It is not necessary that I will give permission but it is necessary to seek permission of the Assembly Speaker about the arrest of any member of this House.
"When the police came to my office with warrant, I told them you go according to law", he said.
Asked if the former minister has gone into hiding, he said, "It is not a question for the speaker to reply. You can go and ask government".
The Dy SP and SHO of the area (under whose operational area the alleged crime took place), had come to me yesterday with the warrant, he said, adding that they "delivered a copy of the warrant in my office and sought written permission".
It is mandatory for police to inform the Speaker with regard to the arrest of any member, he said.
Khan had resigned on February 7, a day after he was booked by police on a complaint by a lady doctor, alleging that he made an attempt to molest her in his office.
The MLA from Rajouri and Minister of State for Health had submitted his resignation to Chief Minister Omar Abdullah who forwarded it to Governor NN Vohra.
On February 8, a court in Srinagar had issued an arrest warrant against Khan in connection with the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly