J&K: SPO killed, Army jawan wounded in militant at
Srinagar: Militants on Saturday shot dead a Special Police Officer and wounded an army jawan in Sopore township in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district.
SPO Riyaz-ul-Hassan was killed and armyman Tariq Ahmad Mir was injured when unidentified militants fired at them in village Brath-Kalaan, 55-km from here, at around 4.30 PM, official sources said.
The SPO died instantly while Mir, posted in Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry Regiment, received bullet injuries in the shoulder, they said.
Hassan and Mir are both residents of Brath Kalaan, a police spokesman said.
Locals hit the streets denouncing the incident.
No militant outfit has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!