J&K: Storm affects life in Barak Valley
Karimganj: A child was killed and life in three Barak valley districts has been thrown out of gear since the past two days due to a severe storm that damaged houses, uprooted trees and electricity pillars and snapped power transmission lines.
Official sources said the five year-old lost his life in a house collapse due to the storm at Vairabnagar in Karimganj district yesterday.
Cachar, Karimganj and Hailakandi districts suffered severe power disruption as torrential rain, accompanied by hail storm affected high tension power transmission lines and badly damaged power stations at Srikona, Meherpur, Jirighat and Panchgram, a senior official of Central Power Distribution company, Barak Valley division, said on Sunday.
Work to restore the power lines was on and power supply would resume as normal by the evening, he said.
The power failure has also affected water supply in the three districts.
Movement of vehicles have been affected as trees have been uprooted at many places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Iraqi army declares Fallujah fully liberated from Islamic State
- Priyanka Chopra opens up about her Hollywood debut 'Baywatch'! – Read more
- How al Qaeda radicalises youth and trains them, reveals arrested militant leader
- Government allows airlines to import up to 18 year old planes
- Pampore terror attack: Centre to send committee to find reason behind security lapse