J&K: Students take out rally against use of tobacco
Srinagar: Dozens of students here on Monday
held a rally against the increasing use of tobacco and
psychotropic drugs mostly among the teenagers in the Valley on
the World No-Tobacco Day.
Uniform-clad students, carrying placards and banners,
took out a march on the Residency Road, the commercial hub in
the heart of the city, before ending their rally at the
The students were shouting slogans against the use of
"We want to tell the people that cigarette smoking and
use of (psychotropic) drugs is not beneficial for their
It causes cancer and endangers an entire generation," a
student from south Kashmir`s Pampore town, Nasir Bashir, said.
The World Health Organisation observes the day on May
31 each year, highlighting health risks associated with
tobacco use and advocating policies to reduce consumption.
There has been a spurt in the number of drug abusers
throughout the Kashmir Valley, with people falling prey at an
Recently, police claimed to have cleared Awantipora
region in south Kashmir, infamous for its production of poppy
and cannabis crop.
More than two dozen major drug dealers and peddlers
have been arrested in the Awantipora region in the past one
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow