J&K terror attacks: As it happened
Zee Media Bureau/Biplob Ghosal and Himanshu Kapoor
Srinagar: Heavily-armed militants dressed in Army fatigues on Thursday attacked a police station in Kathua before targeting an Army camp in nearby Samba, in a terror strike 72 hours ahead of a meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Pakistan counterpart Nawaz Sharif.
4:49 pm Army operation over in Samba as all three terrorist responsible for killing 12 people have been gunned down.
4:40 pm: Army confirms that three terrorists have been gunned down in Samba sector, encounter still on.
3:45 pm: We have conveyed to all our police establishments to be extra alert, says Senior superintendent of Police (SSP) Poonch, Shamsher Hussain
3:30 pm: Reports suggest that six policemen, four Army soldiers and two civilians have been killed in the audacious attack.
3:05 pm: Reports say that Special Forces have moved in to eliminate the remaining terrorists in the Army camp.
3:02 pm: It is imperative that senseless acts of violence do not deter us from pursuing a path to a better future for our people - Pak High Commission
3:00 pm: Pakistan condemns J&K terror attack. Pak High Commission statement says, “Our hearts go out in sympathy to families of all those who fell victim to the acts of terrorist violence in Jammu today.”
2:22 pm: RPN Singh said that it is unfortunate that every time peace talks are about to be held with Pakistan such attacks happen. He also accused the BJP of playing politics.
2:20 pm: Terming the terror attack in J&K as extremely unfortunate, Minister of State in the Ministry of Home Affairs RPN Singh said it is an attempt to vitiate the atmospehere and hamper the Indo-Pak talks.
1:50 pm: On BJP’s demand to cancel talk process with Pakistan, Congress leader Digvijaya Singh said that when NDA was in power it held talks even after the Kargil incident.
1:28 pm: Amid demands by BJP to call off talks with Pakistan after the twin terror attacks in Jammu region, Congress today said that "dialogue is the only way to tackle issues". Condemning the terror strikes, party general secretary Digvijay Singh asked Pakistan to identify the rogue elements and noted that both the countries were "victims of terror" and should come together to fight the menace instead of blaming each other.
1:22 pm: Some students of the Army school were also stuck, I rescued them in my bullet proof vehicle, says SSP (Samba) Israr Khan
1:20 pm: Five officers at Hiranagar police station have been martyred - SSP (Samba) Israr Khan
Terror attack in J&K is highly condemnable. Condolences to families of brave army & police personnel & civilians who sacrificed their lives.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) September 26, 2013
1:15 pm: Defence Minister AK Antony condemns attack by terrorists on Indian security posts in Jammu. "The minister said the Indian security establishment will leave no stone unturned in dealing with the terrorists with a firm hand," an official statement said.
1:08 pm: PDP leader Naeem Akhtar says the attack is an attempt to derail talks between PM Manmohan Singh and his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif.
12:52 pm: The same terrorists who attacked the police station later reached Samba and attacked the Army unit, the encounter is going on - Home Secretary
12:50 pm: Giving details about Hari Nagar police station attack, Home Secretary Anil Goswami says that the attack was carried out at 6: 45 in which 4 policemen and a civilian were killed and one ASI injured.
12:40 pm: A lesser-known militant outfit `Shohada Brigade` has claimed responsibility for the twin attacks in Jammu region. "We carried the attacks in Kathua and Samba in Jammu region and our mujhahideen are still fighting there," a person who identified himself as Sami-ul-Haq, the spokesperson of the outfit, told a news agency.
12:38 pm: Four terrorists entered Jammu region from across the border this morning: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde says quoting preliminary information.
12:20 pm: My heartfelt condolences to families of brave army and police officers as well as the civilians martyred in this cowardly attack, says Dr Singh.
12:15 pm: This is one more attack and barbarism by enemies of peace. Such attacks will not succeed in derailing our efforts to find a resolution through a process of dialogue. The attack is carried out by terrorists, who continue to receive encouragement and reinforcement from across the border – PM
12:12 pm: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh condemns militants` strike in Jammu and says terms it as attack on peace and dialogue.
12:00 noon: We are totally against proposed meeting between Indo-Pak PMs, it is against the national mood – BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu
11:55 am: Home Secretary and Intelligence Bureau director brief Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on the terror attack.
11:47 am: Janata Dal (United ) leader KC Tyagi said PM should take up terror related issues with Nawaz Sharif.
11:44 am: Samajwadi Party leader Naresh Agarwal terms the government as weak and demands suspension of talks with Pakistan.
11:40 am: The terrorists are holed up in a building inside the Army camp - IG Rajesh Kumar.
My condolences and prayers are with the families of victims of these attacks.
— ShivrajSingh Chouhan (@ChouhanShivraj) September 26, 2013
11:30 am: Omar holds forces inimical to the interest of peace in J&K responsible for the attacks.
11:26 am: Omar says the terror attack is an attempt to derail proposed talks between Indo-Pak. “Amidst the attack there will be political pressure on the PM to resist any further movement in the dialogue process with Nawaz Sharif and it is for the PM and his advisors to take care on how to go ahead with this matter,” the J&K CM further said.
11:24 am: J&K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah condemned the attack. He also expressed condolences to families who have lost their loved ones in today’s attack.
11:20 am: IG Rajesh Kumar confirms that four officials at Harinagar Police Station have been killed and 3-4 are injured.
11:05 am: Reports say that despite the terror attack there has been no change in PM’s scheduled meeting with Nawaz Sharif.
11:00 am: BJP leader Yashwant Sinha opines that India shouldn’t talk to Pakistan. Terming the recent attack as an extremely unfortunate incident, Sinha said there is no meaning of holding any talks with the Pakistan government which doesn’t have any control over the Army and ISI.
10:55 am: Lt General (retired) PN Hoon says that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh shouldn’t hold any talks with his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif.
10:39 am: Two Army jawans martyred in the terrorist attack.
10:16 am: Reports suggest that six policemen and three civilians were killed when the militants attacked Hiranagar Police station today morning.
10:12 am: Confirming the terrorist attack, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said that first a police station was attacked and now militants have attacked an Army camp.
9:52 am: Reports suggest that a Lt Col has been killed in firing between security forces and militants.
9:45 am: 3-4 militants in Army uniform are involved in the attack, fresh infiltration can`t be ruled out, Rajesh Kumar said.
9:40 am: Giving details about the terror attack, IG Rajesh Kumar said that encounter at the Army camp is going on and additional forces of CRPF, police and Army have been called.
9:34 am: First Army regiment to come take on terrorists was the 16th Cavalry. Two militants believed to be holed up inside camp.
9:31 am: We strongly condemn the terror attack. It is to obstruct talks between Indo-Pakistan talks to be held in the US, says Congress leader Meem Afzal.
9:25 am: BSF jawans have cordoned off the area around the Army camp.
9:22 am:Army helicopter conducting aerial surveillance to know the exact location of the terrorists.
9:15 am: Reports claim that 2 terrorists have been killed, encounter still on.
9:10 am: Two explosions heard from inside the Army camp, cannot confirm death toll, says Samba SP.
9:05 am: Injured Army jawans being evacuated from attack site
9:00 am: Heavy firing going on between guerillas and soldiers. Tank movement reported in Army Headquarter.
8:45 am: Jammu-Pathankot Highway sealed.
Condemn Militant attack in Jammu. Pakistan and India both victims of Terror must come together to fight them instead of blaming each other
— digvijaya singh (@digvijaya_28) September 26, 2013
8:30 am:Two Army jawans injured, three militants enter the camp.
8:22 am: Heavy gunfire reported from Army camp in Samba.
8:20 am: Some reports also suggest that the militants later hijacked a truck and went to an Army brigade camp in Samba.
8:10 am: All the injured have suffered critical splinter and bullet injuries.
8:05 am: Five cops are said to be dead and three seriously injured. Some reports said that two civilans have also been killed.
8:02 am: Militants came dressed in Army uniform and indiscriminately fired at the policemen. Militants also used grenades and automatic weapons to attack the police station.
8:00 am: Militants attack a police station in Kathua district. Hira Nagar police station is barely seven km away from the international border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'