J&K terror attacks: Stronger surveillance needed to prevent such cases, says Omar Abdullah
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Friday said that surveillance needed to be strengthened in the state to prevent terrorist attacks like the twin strikes at Samba and Kathua.
"While expressing sorrow over the loss of civilians and security force personnel in the twin terrorist attacks, the Chief Minister stressed the need for further strengthening the surveillance and security measures to avoid such strikes in future," an official spokesman said.
Omar reviewed the functioning of the security grid in the state at a meeting of Unified Headquarters here in the wake of yesterday`s terror attacks.
"Top brass of Army, security forces, police and civil administration was present in the meeting in which the Chief Minister was apprised of the details of operations conducted to combat the terrorist attacks," the spokesman said.
He said Omar, who is camping here since yesterday, was also briefed about the functioning of security grid in the state.
"He was also briefed about the coordination between various security agencies to anticipate and combat terrorist attacks," the spokesman said.
The meeting was attended by Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand, GOC-in-C Northern Command Lt Gen Sanjiv Chachra, Principal Secretary, Home, Suresh Kumar, Director General Police, Ashok Prasad and senior officers of the army, intelligence agencies and paramilitary forces.
Terrorists had yesterday stormed a police station and an army camp in Jammu region, killing 10 people including an army officer in twin `fidayeen` attacks after they sneaked in from across the border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!