J&K to discuss direct Haj flight with Centre
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government will hold a meeting with the Centre next week to press for the resumption of a direct flight from Srinagar to Saudi Arabia during Haj this year.
"Minister of State for Haj, Ajaz Ahmad Khan, is holding a meeting with Union government after Eid-ul-Fitr to seek a direct Haj flight from Srinagar to Jeddah," Chief Executive Officer of State Haj Committee, Abdul Salam, said here.
The government is keen to see early resumption of flights from Srinagar to Jeddah, which were introduced in October, 2008, but later suspended.
This evoked a strong resentment by Haj aspirants as the pilgrims face a lot of problems while embarking on the holy journey through Delhi, Salam said.
On the number of devotees this year, he said as many as 8,673 would be performing Haj from the state.
"All necessary arrangements have been put in place to ensure safe journey and proper accommodation of the pilgrims during their stay in Saudi Arabia," he said.
The passports of 7,873 intending pilgrims have been sent to the Haj Committee of India for visa endorsement while passports of the rest will also be dispatched to them in time, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'