J&K to discuss direct Haj flight with Centre
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government will hold a meeting with the Centre next week to press for the resumption of a direct flight from Srinagar to Saudi Arabia during Haj this year.
"Minister of State for Haj, Ajaz Ahmad Khan, is holding a meeting with Union government after Eid-ul-Fitr to seek a direct Haj flight from Srinagar to Jeddah," Chief Executive Officer of State Haj Committee, Abdul Salam, said here.
The government is keen to see early resumption of flights from Srinagar to Jeddah, which were introduced in October, 2008, but later suspended.
This evoked a strong resentment by Haj aspirants as the pilgrims face a lot of problems while embarking on the holy journey through Delhi, Salam said.
On the number of devotees this year, he said as many as 8,673 would be performing Haj from the state.
"All necessary arrangements have been put in place to ensure safe journey and proper accommodation of the pilgrims during their stay in Saudi Arabia," he said.
The passports of 7,873 intending pilgrims have been sent to the Haj Committee of India for visa endorsement while passports of the rest will also be dispatched to them in time, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what