J&K to discuss direct Haj flight with Centre
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government will hold a meeting with the Centre next week to press for the resumption of a direct flight from Srinagar to Saudi Arabia during Haj this year.
"Minister of State for Haj, Ajaz Ahmad Khan, is holding a meeting with Union government after Eid-ul-Fitr to seek a direct Haj flight from Srinagar to Jeddah," Chief Executive Officer of State Haj Committee, Abdul Salam, said here.
The government is keen to see early resumption of flights from Srinagar to Jeddah, which were introduced in October, 2008, but later suspended.
This evoked a strong resentment by Haj aspirants as the pilgrims face a lot of problems while embarking on the holy journey through Delhi, Salam said.
On the number of devotees this year, he said as many as 8,673 would be performing Haj from the state.
"All necessary arrangements have been put in place to ensure safe journey and proper accommodation of the pilgrims during their stay in Saudi Arabia," he said.
The passports of 7,873 intending pilgrims have been sent to the Haj Committee of India for visa endorsement while passports of the rest will also be dispatched to them in time, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers