J&K to seek Centre assistance for quake-hit areas
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government on Wednesday said it would ask the Centre for a rehabilitation package for the quake affected areas of Doda region on the same lines as that of 2010 Leh cloudburst.
"We will demand from the Centre a rehabilitation for the quake affected areas package on the same pattern as that of Leh. After the assessment is completed, we will submit a report and demand the package," Minister for Roads and Buildings, Abdul Majid Wani told reporters.
Wani said the state government has already released Rs 25 crore for the immediate relief to the victims in the affected areas and will do everything possible to provide relief to the people in the region.
"State government has already released Rs 25 crore for the affected. This amount includes tents, immediate relief and free ration for three months for the affected families. We dispatched all available tents and pre-fabricated huts to the region as an immediate relief," he said.
The minister said the assessment of the damage in the natural calamity that hit districts of Doda, Ramban, Kishtwar and adjacent areas on May 1 has not been completed yet, but assured the process would be completed by May 10.
"Preliminary reports suggest there has been a damage of more than 90 per cent in these areas. There are many far flung areas in the region where the damage assessment is still taking place. It will be completed by the 10th of this month, after which we will submit our demand for the package to the Centre," he said.
Wani said Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has directed three ministers to stay-put in the affected areas and that the chief minister himself is monitoring the situation.
"I have been directed to stay in Doda, Ajay Sadhotara (Minister for Planning & Development) has been directed to stay in Bhaderwah and Sajad Kichloo (MoS Home) has been directed to stay in Kishtwar," he said.
Wani said he would visit the region along with the chief minister on Thursday. The minister also said there have been "clear cut" directions from chief minister to "counter-check" damages so that relief is distributed in a transparent and accountable manner.
About 255 persons were killed in the 2010 cloudburst and the subsequent floods at Leh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India