J&K to strengthen laws against gender crimes
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir government plans to bring in changes in the state`s laws against sexual offences and gender crimes.
Minister for Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs Ali Mohammad Sagar Tuesday held a meeting with department`s officials to review the laws in the state.
"It was emphasised that effective and stringent provisions are needed in the law against sexual offences to make it a deterrent and in tune with public sentiments," Sagar said.
He said the steps were being taken on the directions of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
The changes in law will deal with various stages of the case, including investigation, prosecution and trial, he said.
"The department will also consult experts to make the changes comprehensive and effective," Sagar said.
He said substantive changes would be made in Ranbir Penal Code, Criminal Procedure Code and Evidence Act.
The state has its own constitution and penal code.
"Necessary initiatives will be taken to provide for fast-track investigation and fast track trial," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview