J&K: Vaishnavi given tearful adieu
Jammu: All State Kashmiri Pandit Conference president Pandit Amar Nath Vaishnavi died at his residence in Jammu after a brief illness last evening. He was 87.
As their leader, Vaishnavi had led the Kashmir Pandit (KP) community for past several decades and became the first president of Yuvik Sahba (Sheetal Nath).
Born in Srinagar in 1925, Vaishnavi fighting for the country`s Independence was jailed several times, including during the Emergency in 1975.
He had headed the Sahita Samiti, which provided relief and food to the displaced KPs soon after their migration from the Valley to Jammu and other areas in the region in 1990.
"Vaishnavi Ji was only leader of the community who changed the fate of the young generation by ensuring they get reservation in the professional colleges and universities", General Secretary of State Congress and Apex committee member Hira Lal Pandita said.
The last rites of the leader of the largest organisation of KPs in Jammu and Kashmir was performed at the Bantalab Cremation Ground.
The members of the KP community regretted that there was no representative from the Jammu and Kashmir government at the Cremation Ground to pay last respects to the veteran leader, who was also a member of the government`s apex decision making body for Kashmiri Pandits.
"Chief Minister and Governor or the ministers failed to express even condolence to the most powerful leader of the community", claimed All Party Migrant Coordination Committee (APMCC) chairman Vinood Pandit before reporters here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India