J&K withdraws red beacons for CS, DGP, AG
Jammu: In a U-turn, Jammu and Kashmir government on Wednesday withdrew the green signal for use of red beacons on the official vehicles of the Chief Secretary, Director General of Police and the Advocate General of the state, given yesterday, succumbing to pressure from legislators.
"The permission to use red beacons on official vehicles for the three has been withdrawn. CS, DGP and Advocate General cannot use the red beacons," Parliamentary Affairs Minister Mir Saifullah said responding to the issue raised by JKNPP legislator Harsh Dev Singh.
The Minister contended that the issue was important and cabinet had taken a decision as per the Supreme Court order last year which limited the use of red beacons to high dignitaries holding constitutional posts.
Justifying the arguments of MLAs, he said, "In warrant of precedence, Chief Secretary, DGP and Advocate General are below the legislators. MLAS are constitutional authorities," and informed the Assembly about the decision to withdraw the nod for red beacons to the three government officials.
The state cabinet had allowed the use of red beacons on the official vehicles of the three dignitaries, but did not extend it to legislators, triggering protests from the members in the Assembly yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video