J&K yet to finalise a Disaster Management Plan: NDMA
Srinagar: National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) on Saturday said the earthquake-hit Doda district of Jammu and Kashmir will be brought under the National School Safety Project (NSSP).
"The National School Safety Project will be implemented in Doda district of Jammu and Kashmir. All components under the project will be extended to the area," NDMA vice-chairman Shashidhar Reddy told reporters here.
Reddy was accompanying Union Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad on a visit to the earthquake affected areas of Bahderwah, Gandoh and Thatri.
Two districts of the state Leh and Kupwara - were already covered under NSSP, Reddy said.
The NDMA vice-chairman said the authority had asked states to prepare State Disaster Management Plan to meet with eventualities of a natural disaster.
"Many states have not come up with the plan yet and Jammu and Kashmir is sailing in the same boat," he said.
Jammu and Kashmir falls in the highly active seismic zones IV and V, and the state will need to expedite the finalisation of a Disaster Management Plan, Reddy said.
"Not only the state level disaster management plan, there is a need for a plan at district levels that will help in mobilising resources in case of a natural disaster," he said.
Reddy said, during his visit to the quake-affected areas today, the district administration was asking for equipment, which should already have been provided to them.
"We cannot stop natural disasters, but with an effective management plan, we can minimise the damage caused by these events," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh