J&K yet to finalise a Disaster Management Plan: NDMA
Srinagar: National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) on Saturday said the earthquake-hit Doda district of Jammu and Kashmir will be brought under the National School Safety Project (NSSP).
"The National School Safety Project will be implemented in Doda district of Jammu and Kashmir. All components under the project will be extended to the area," NDMA vice-chairman Shashidhar Reddy told reporters here.
Reddy was accompanying Union Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad on a visit to the earthquake affected areas of Bahderwah, Gandoh and Thatri.
Two districts of the state Leh and Kupwara - were already covered under NSSP, Reddy said.
The NDMA vice-chairman said the authority had asked states to prepare State Disaster Management Plan to meet with eventualities of a natural disaster.
"Many states have not come up with the plan yet and Jammu and Kashmir is sailing in the same boat," he said.
Jammu and Kashmir falls in the highly active seismic zones IV and V, and the state will need to expedite the finalisation of a Disaster Management Plan, Reddy said.
"Not only the state level disaster management plan, there is a need for a plan at district levels that will help in mobilising resources in case of a natural disaster," he said.
Reddy said, during his visit to the quake-affected areas today, the district administration was asking for equipment, which should already have been provided to them.
"We cannot stop natural disasters, but with an effective management plan, we can minimise the damage caused by these events," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal