J&K yet to finalise a Disaster Management Plan: NDMA
Srinagar: National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) on Saturday said the earthquake-hit Doda district of Jammu and Kashmir will be brought under the National School Safety Project (NSSP).
"The National School Safety Project will be implemented in Doda district of Jammu and Kashmir. All components under the project will be extended to the area," NDMA vice-chairman Shashidhar Reddy told reporters here.
Reddy was accompanying Union Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad on a visit to the earthquake affected areas of Bahderwah, Gandoh and Thatri.
Two districts of the state Leh and Kupwara - were already covered under NSSP, Reddy said.
The NDMA vice-chairman said the authority had asked states to prepare State Disaster Management Plan to meet with eventualities of a natural disaster.
"Many states have not come up with the plan yet and Jammu and Kashmir is sailing in the same boat," he said.
Jammu and Kashmir falls in the highly active seismic zones IV and V, and the state will need to expedite the finalisation of a Disaster Management Plan, Reddy said.
"Not only the state level disaster management plan, there is a need for a plan at district levels that will help in mobilising resources in case of a natural disaster," he said.
Reddy said, during his visit to the quake-affected areas today, the district administration was asking for equipment, which should already have been provided to them.
"We cannot stop natural disasters, but with an effective management plan, we can minimise the damage caused by these events," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog