J&K youth continue to shine in Civil Services exam
Srinagar: A year after Shah Faesal top the prestigious IAS examination, 11 candidates from the Jammu and Kashmir succeeded in making to the final list of the elite Union civil services examination.
Leading the way from the state is Syed Sehrish, who became only the second woman to top the state`s Kashmir Administrative Service (KAS) examination in 2011.
Sehrish, who is ranked 23 in this year`s list, had qualified the Union Civil Services Exam last year also but was placed in the IPS cadre.
Sehrish is a second generation civil services officer as her father Syed Asghar was a 1977-batch Kashmir Administrative Service (KAS) officer before joining politics and becoming an MLC on Opposition People`s Democratic Party (PDP) ticket.
The results of this year`s Civil services exams were announced by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on Friday.
While eight successful candidates this year hail from Kashmir, the other three belong to Jammu division.
The successful candidates from the state are Showkat Ahmad Parray, Khurshid Ali Qadri, Abid Sadiq, Naveed Tramboo, Amanullah Tak, Adnan Nayeem Asmi, Ruveda Salam Bajard, Vikas Kundal, Anchita Pandoh and Iftekhar Ahmad Choudhary.
The civil services examinations has attracted a large number of youth from the state after Shah Faesal, a youth hailing from remote Kupwara district, became first from the state to top the IAS examination in 2009.
There were three others, who had cracked prestigious examination with Faesal and subsequent years saw more candidates from the state making the cut. While 11 candidates qualified in 2011, 10 were selected last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!