J&K youth continue to shine in Civil Services exam
Srinagar: A year after Shah Faesal top the prestigious IAS examination, 11 candidates from the Jammu and Kashmir succeeded in making to the final list of the elite Union civil services examination.
Leading the way from the state is Syed Sehrish, who became only the second woman to top the state`s Kashmir Administrative Service (KAS) examination in 2011.
Sehrish, who is ranked 23 in this year`s list, had qualified the Union Civil Services Exam last year also but was placed in the IPS cadre.
Sehrish is a second generation civil services officer as her father Syed Asghar was a 1977-batch Kashmir Administrative Service (KAS) officer before joining politics and becoming an MLC on Opposition People`s Democratic Party (PDP) ticket.
The results of this year`s Civil services exams were announced by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on Friday.
While eight successful candidates this year hail from Kashmir, the other three belong to Jammu division.
The successful candidates from the state are Showkat Ahmad Parray, Khurshid Ali Qadri, Abid Sadiq, Naveed Tramboo, Amanullah Tak, Adnan Nayeem Asmi, Ruveda Salam Bajard, Vikas Kundal, Anchita Pandoh and Iftekhar Ahmad Choudhary.
The civil services examinations has attracted a large number of youth from the state after Shah Faesal, a youth hailing from remote Kupwara district, became first from the state to top the IAS examination in 2009.
There were three others, who had cracked prestigious examination with Faesal and subsequent years saw more candidates from the state making the cut. While 11 candidates qualified in 2011, 10 were selected last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31