J&K: Youth injured in Army firing
Srinagar: A youth was injured after Army personnel fired at him for allegedly bypassing a checking barrier in Jammu and Kashmir`s Kupwara district, officials said.
Bilal Ahmad Magray was injured in the firing last night at Zachaldara, 95 km from here, in Handwara area, they said.
Magray was taken to Medical Inspection room of the local Army unit from where he was referred to a hospital here, the officials said.
Locals today held a peaceful protest against the incident, they said.
A defence spokesman said the youth was injured when he tried to bypass a checking barrier set up in the area following information about movement of militants.
"An operation has been going on in Handwara since last Friday. There was information about three militants travelling on Zachaldara-Handwara road in a vehicle last night and multiple barriers were erected," he said.
Magray along with his brother tried to bypass the barrier when signalled to stop, following which the security personnel fired at them, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof