J&K`s state Vigilance Commission gets operational
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir`s first State Vigilance Commission (SVC) got functional on Friday with the appointment of Kuldeep Khoda as the Chief Vigilance Commissioner and RK Jerath as Vigilance Commissioner.
Governor NN Vohra administered the oath of office to Khoda and Jerath at a function held at the Raj Bhavan, here, on Friday evening.
Both, Khoda, a former Director General of Police, J&K, and Jerath, a senior IAS officer, retired last year.
After the oath-taking ceremony, Khoda drove straight to his office and took charge of the SVC.
Khoda and Jerath shall hold the office for a term of four years from the date of their joining or till they reach the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier, an official said.
It was nearly two years ago that the state legislature had approved a Bill for setting up of the SVC in Jammu and Kashmir. The SVC Act came in force in 2011.
However, the government started the process of appointment of CVC and VCs on February 5, 2012, following the issuance of guidelines for the appointments.
A high-level committee had approved the appointment of Khoda as the CVC and Jerath as the VC during a meeting on May 28 last year.
However, Leader of Opposition Mehbooba Mufti, who was one of the members of the selection panel, had objected to Khoda`s appointment and submitted a dissenting note, sources said.
The government had incorporated the note along with its recommendation to the Governor for making the appointments.
The recommendations were forwarded to Vohra on June 4 last year.
But on the basis of Mehbooba`s note, the Raj Bhawan returned the file to the government on June 15, raising some queries about Khoda. The government replied, giving a clean chit to Khoda.
Apart from Mufti, the selection panel comprised Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand, the then Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar and Leader of Opposition Mehbooba Mufti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe