Jawan beheading, payoffs allegation, Keran make news in J&K
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir witnessed a tumultuous year with many incidents hogging national attention -- beheading of a jawan on LoC by Pakistani troops, ceasefire violations, allegation of political pay offs by a former army chief and demand for debate on revoking Article 370.
The controversial anti-infiltration operation in Keran sector of the valley and hanging of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru also dominated the discourse in the state.
Guru`s hanging in February resulted in protests and violent clashes with security forces, leaving four persons dead. However, the unrest did not last long.
The year began with killing of two army soldiers by Pakistani militants aided by regular troops in Krishna Ghati sector of Poonch district in January. The incident came in the aftermath of India and Pakistan trading allegations of ceasefire violations along the Line of Control (LoC).
Militants struck several times against security forces with the attack on an Army convoy at Hyderpora on June 24 leaving eight soldiers dead and more than 12 injured.
This attack came a day ahead of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s two-day visit to the state during which he flagged off the Qazigund-Banihal link of the prestigious Kashmir rail project. Singh also laid the foundation stone of 850 MW Rattle power project in Kishtwar.
While minor border skirmishes were reported throughout the year, Pakistani troops carried out an audacious attack killing five Indian soldiers after entering Indian territory along the LOC in Poonch sector in August.
The incident, which led to calls for scrapping of talks between India and Pakistan, also figured in Parliament proceedings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city