Jawan injured in encounter in Poonch
Jammu: An Army jawan was on Thursday injured in an encounter which broke out between security forces and militants in Poonch district of Jammun and Kashmir, an Army officer said.
Acting on a tip off about the presence of a group of militants, troops of 20 and 16 Rashtriya Rifles launched a search and cordon operation in Mohra belt of Surakote tehsil
in Poonch district early today, he said.
Militants opened indiscriminate firing on the security forces, who also retaliated following which a gunfight broke out.
An Army jawan identified as Gurpreet Singh of 16 RR was injured, he said, adding he was later hospitalised.
The encounter was still on when the reports last came in, he said.
- Chinese newspapers on decline as people move to digital media
- Assam to seek review of SC judgement on NEET: Tarun Gogoi
- Chopper scam: Amit Shah mounts attack on Sonia Gandhi, poses 4 questions on her
- Haryana govt withdraws BS Hooda's cabinet rank?
- Viv Richards lashes out at ICC's double standards, says all cricket rules don't apply to India