Jawan`s body found; Army toll in cloudburst climbs to 10
Leh: A week after the devastating cloudburst
in Leh, the body of a jawan has been retrieved from the Turtuk
sector taking the army toll to 10 while 25 other personnel are
Official sources said the body of an armyman was
extricated from the debris on Friday evening.
The armyman could be a part of the company posted in the
area, whose camp got swept away in the slush following the
cloudburst on the night of August 5.
With the recovery of his body, the death toll of army
personnel in the calamity has risen to 10, the sources said.
The army has launched a massive rescue operation to trace
the other 25 missing personnel which included two Junior
Commissioned Officers of the Bihar regiment and one of
The jawans, who were manning a post near Turtuk along
the Line of Control, faced the fury of Shyok river on the same
day when Leh was hit by devastating cloudburst.
The Army had sought the help of Pakistani authorities to
rescue the personnel of 15 Bihar infantry regiment as it
feared that they may have been swept away towards
Pakistan-occupied Kashmir in the deluge.
Pakistan had on August 12 handed over an unidentified
body of a flash flood victim to Indian authorities in Kargil
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'