Jawan`s body found; Army toll in cloudburst climbs to 10
Leh: A week after the devastating cloudburst
in Leh, the body of a jawan has been retrieved from the Turtuk
sector taking the army toll to 10 while 25 other personnel are
Official sources said the body of an armyman was
extricated from the debris on Friday evening.
The armyman could be a part of the company posted in the
area, whose camp got swept away in the slush following the
cloudburst on the night of August 5.
With the recovery of his body, the death toll of army
personnel in the calamity has risen to 10, the sources said.
The army has launched a massive rescue operation to trace
the other 25 missing personnel which included two Junior
Commissioned Officers of the Bihar regiment and one of
The jawans, who were manning a post near Turtuk along
the Line of Control, faced the fury of Shyok river on the same
day when Leh was hit by devastating cloudburst.
The Army had sought the help of Pakistani authorities to
rescue the personnel of 15 Bihar infantry regiment as it
feared that they may have been swept away towards
Pakistan-occupied Kashmir in the deluge.
Pakistan had on August 12 handed over an unidentified
body of a flash flood victim to Indian authorities in Kargil
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing