Jawan`s issue triggers uproar in J&K Assembly
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on Thursday witnessed uproar over the gouging of eyes of an Army jawan, with the government ruling out militancy angle and saying investigation is on.
National Conference (NC) member RS Sharma today raised the issue in the Assembly and demanded a reply from the government.
"It was a barbaric act -- it should be probed thoroughly and culprits should be punished," Sharma said adding that the truth should be brought before the people.
Sharma also demanded the free treatment for the jawan.
An Army jawan was found unconscious with both his eyes gouged out, in a nullah near Chowki Choran on the Jammu-Poonch highway near Akhnoor yesterday morning.
Identified as Rakesh Dutt, son of Kuldeep Raj and a resident of Lam (Noushera) in Rajouri district, he was posted with the 11 Rashtriya Rifles in Kishtwar.
Opposition members belonging to the JKNPP and JSM also supported the issue and demanded the government`s statement.
Sensing the members` mood, Speaker Mubarak Gul directed the government to make a statement on the issue and asked the government to provide medical aid to the jawan.
Making his statement, Law Minister Mir Saifullah on behalf of the state Home Minister, said the jawan`s leave had ended and he had left home on April 1 to join duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA