Jawan`s issue triggers uproar in J&K Assembly
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on Thursday witnessed uproar over the gouging of eyes of an Army jawan, with the government ruling out militancy angle and saying investigation is on.
National Conference (NC) member RS Sharma today raised the issue in the Assembly and demanded a reply from the government.
"It was a barbaric act -- it should be probed thoroughly and culprits should be punished," Sharma said adding that the truth should be brought before the people.
Sharma also demanded the free treatment for the jawan.
An Army jawan was found unconscious with both his eyes gouged out, in a nullah near Chowki Choran on the Jammu-Poonch highway near Akhnoor yesterday morning.
Identified as Rakesh Dutt, son of Kuldeep Raj and a resident of Lam (Noushera) in Rajouri district, he was posted with the 11 Rashtriya Rifles in Kishtwar.
Opposition members belonging to the JKNPP and JSM also supported the issue and demanded the government`s statement.
Sensing the members` mood, Speaker Mubarak Gul directed the government to make a statement on the issue and asked the government to provide medical aid to the jawan.
Making his statement, Law Minister Mir Saifullah on behalf of the state Home Minister, said the jawan`s leave had ended and he had left home on April 1 to join duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway