Jawan`s issue triggers uproar in J&K Assembly
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on Thursday witnessed uproar over the gouging of eyes of an Army jawan, with the government ruling out militancy angle and saying investigation is on.
National Conference (NC) member RS Sharma today raised the issue in the Assembly and demanded a reply from the government.
"It was a barbaric act -- it should be probed thoroughly and culprits should be punished," Sharma said adding that the truth should be brought before the people.
Sharma also demanded the free treatment for the jawan.
An Army jawan was found unconscious with both his eyes gouged out, in a nullah near Chowki Choran on the Jammu-Poonch highway near Akhnoor yesterday morning.
Identified as Rakesh Dutt, son of Kuldeep Raj and a resident of Lam (Noushera) in Rajouri district, he was posted with the 11 Rashtriya Rifles in Kishtwar.
Opposition members belonging to the JKNPP and JSM also supported the issue and demanded the government`s statement.
Sensing the members` mood, Speaker Mubarak Gul directed the government to make a statement on the issue and asked the government to provide medical aid to the jawan.
Making his statement, Law Minister Mir Saifullah on behalf of the state Home Minister, said the jawan`s leave had ended and he had left home on April 1 to join duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah