Jawan`s issue triggers uproar in J&K Assembly
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on Thursday witnessed uproar over the gouging of eyes of an Army jawan, with the government ruling out militancy angle and saying investigation is on.
National Conference (NC) member RS Sharma today raised the issue in the Assembly and demanded a reply from the government.
"It was a barbaric act -- it should be probed thoroughly and culprits should be punished," Sharma said adding that the truth should be brought before the people.
Sharma also demanded the free treatment for the jawan.
An Army jawan was found unconscious with both his eyes gouged out, in a nullah near Chowki Choran on the Jammu-Poonch highway near Akhnoor yesterday morning.
Identified as Rakesh Dutt, son of Kuldeep Raj and a resident of Lam (Noushera) in Rajouri district, he was posted with the 11 Rashtriya Rifles in Kishtwar.
Opposition members belonging to the JKNPP and JSM also supported the issue and demanded the government`s statement.
Sensing the members` mood, Speaker Mubarak Gul directed the government to make a statement on the issue and asked the government to provide medical aid to the jawan.
Making his statement, Law Minister Mir Saifullah on behalf of the state Home Minister, said the jawan`s leave had ended and he had left home on April 1 to join duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?