Jawan`s issue triggers uproar in J&K Assembly
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on Thursday witnessed uproar over the gouging of eyes of an Army jawan, with the government ruling out militancy angle and saying investigation is on.
National Conference (NC) member RS Sharma today raised the issue in the Assembly and demanded a reply from the government.
"It was a barbaric act -- it should be probed thoroughly and culprits should be punished," Sharma said adding that the truth should be brought before the people.
Sharma also demanded the free treatment for the jawan.
An Army jawan was found unconscious with both his eyes gouged out, in a nullah near Chowki Choran on the Jammu-Poonch highway near Akhnoor yesterday morning.
Identified as Rakesh Dutt, son of Kuldeep Raj and a resident of Lam (Noushera) in Rajouri district, he was posted with the 11 Rashtriya Rifles in Kishtwar.
Opposition members belonging to the JKNPP and JSM also supported the issue and demanded the government`s statement.
Sensing the members` mood, Speaker Mubarak Gul directed the government to make a statement on the issue and asked the government to provide medical aid to the jawan.
Making his statement, Law Minister Mir Saifullah on behalf of the state Home Minister, said the jawan`s leave had ended and he had left home on April 1 to join duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015