JCO killed in Kupwara gunbattle
Srinagar: A Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO), who was injured in a gunbattle with a group of infiltrators near the Line of Control in Kupwara district of Kashmir, succumbed to injuries, police said on Thursday.
A gunbattle broke out when troops of 57 Rashtriya Rifles noticed movement of heavily-armed militants near the LoC in the wee hours yesterday.
The infiltrating militants were asked to surrender but opened firing on the Army personnel, resulting in injuries to three soldiers including a JCO, it said.
The JCO later succumbed to injuries, police said.
Official sources said the militants, believed to be five in number, managed to evade the Army cordon after inflicting casualties on them and might have slipped back
across the LoC.
However, Srinagar-based defence spokesman Lt Colonel JS Brar said searches were continuing in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi