Jethmalani to challenge Geelani`s house arrest
Srinagar: Former union law minister and senior counsel Ram Jethmalani has decided to challenge in the Supreme Court the continued house arrest of separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani, a close aide of the senior hardline leader said Saturday.
Jethmalani called on Geelani at his uptown Hyderpora residence here Saturday.
Talking to a news agency, Geelani`s close aide Ayaz Akbar said: "Ram Jethmalani told Geelani Sahib that he will be challenging the continued house arrest in the Supreme Court."
"Ram Jethmalani is defending one of our senior leaders, Gulam Muhammad Bhat, who is being tried in a special court in Delhi.
"The chargesheet against Bhat Sahib says he was arrested in `Fauwara Chowk` in Bemina locality of Srinagar, whereas there is no place by this name in Bemina," Akbar said.
"Ram Jethmalani is visiting Bemina Saturday afternoon to ascertain the facts to prepare Bhat`s defence," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice