JK govt approves up to Rs 5 lakh compensation for riot victims
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government has approved ex-gratia of up to Rs 5 lakh for victims of riots and other "extra-ordinary" law and order disturbances for damage or destruction to immovable property.
The decision was taken on Wednesday night in a Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah at Civil Secretariat, an official spokesman said.
"The Cabinet, in supersession of any previous order, approved ex-gratia to the victims of riots and other extra- ordinary law and order disturbances in respect of destruction and damage to immovable property.
"The amount of relief to be granted for destruction and damage to the immovable property shall be equal to 50 per cent of the actual loss or up to Rs 5 lakh, whichever is lesser," the spokesman said.
He, however, did not elaborate on what would constitute extra-ordinary law and order disturbance.
The spokesman said the policy would be applicable retrospectively from April 1 this year, but not to the settled cases.
He said the assessment of the loss due to destruction or damage would be made by the Tehsildar of the area and it would be verified by the Assistant Commissioner, Revenue.
The relief would be sanctioned by the Deputy Commissioner of the district concerned on the recommendations of a district level screening-cum-coordination committee, he said.
The committee would comprise District Magistrate as Chairman, Superintendent of district, Additional Deputy Commissioner, ACR, Tehsildar of district, besides the Tehsildar assessing the loss, as its members and any other member co-opted by the Chairman, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE