JK govt intends to hold Panchayat polls soon: Soz
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir government intends to hold elections to Panchayats at the earliest to decentralise power at the grassroot level, state Congress head Saif-ud-Din Soz said on Sunday.
The NC-Congress coalition government in the state was
contemplating to hold Panchayat elections soon, he said at a
function here organised on the occasion of India`s first Prime
Minister Jawaharlal Nehru`s 120th birth anniversary.
The aim of holding these elections was to empower and
strengthen Panchayati Raj institutions, Soz said.
It was Nehru`s dream to empower these institutions to
enable fruits of development to perlocate down to the
grassroot level, he said.
Paying tributes to Nehru, Soz described him as a
great statesman and an architect of modern India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet clears mineral exploration policy
- Unbelievable! Gujarat researchers find traces of gold in urine of Gir cows
- Monsoon Session of Parliament to begin from July 18, end on August 12
- Barack Obama does not see major, cataclysmic changes after Brexit
- Mumbai: Youth performs daredevil stunt atop local train - Watch video