JK Panchayat polls: Turnout 70 per cent in 11th phase
Srinagar: Militancy-hit areas recorded a
low turnout as an estimated 70 per cent voters on Wednesday exercised
their franchise for Panchayat elections in 10 blocks of Jammu
Militancy-affected Zainageer in Baramulla district
recorded a low voter turnout of 28.8 per cent, an official
Pulwama, which is also grappling with the problem of
militancy, registered 52 per cent voting, he said.
Militants have given a call for boycott of the
Elsewhere in the Valley, Qazigund in Anantnag district
registered 82 per cent polling and Bandipora 71 per cent, the
In Jammu division, the voter turnout in all six blocks
was very high with Bhalwal recording 86 per cent voting and
Marmat 84.43 per cent.
Surankote witnessed 82 per cent polling, Bafliaz 81,
Drabshalla 76 and Ramsoo 74.22 per cent, the spokesman said.
The exercise, which passed off peacefully, was held
to elect 343 sarpanches and 2515 panches in 10 blocks of the
Panchayat elections are being held in Jammu and
Kashmir after a gap of 10 years.
Last five phases of the Panchayat elections will be
held on May 29, June 2, June 6, June 11 and June 16.
After a gap of ten years Panchayat elections are
being held in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets