JK Panchayat polls: Turnout 70 per cent in 11th phase
Srinagar: Militancy-hit areas recorded a
low turnout as an estimated 70 per cent voters on Wednesday exercised
their franchise for Panchayat elections in 10 blocks of Jammu
Militancy-affected Zainageer in Baramulla district
recorded a low voter turnout of 28.8 per cent, an official
Pulwama, which is also grappling with the problem of
militancy, registered 52 per cent voting, he said.
Militants have given a call for boycott of the
Elsewhere in the Valley, Qazigund in Anantnag district
registered 82 per cent polling and Bandipora 71 per cent, the
In Jammu division, the voter turnout in all six blocks
was very high with Bhalwal recording 86 per cent voting and
Marmat 84.43 per cent.
Surankote witnessed 82 per cent polling, Bafliaz 81,
Drabshalla 76 and Ramsoo 74.22 per cent, the spokesman said.
The exercise, which passed off peacefully, was held
to elect 343 sarpanches and 2515 panches in 10 blocks of the
Panchayat elections are being held in Jammu and
Kashmir after a gap of 10 years.
Last five phases of the Panchayat elections will be
held on May 29, June 2, June 6, June 11 and June 16.
After a gap of ten years Panchayat elections are
being held in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read