JKLF chairman on 48-hours hunger strike
Srinagar: JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik Friday began a 48-hour long hunger strike here to press for return of the mortal remains of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru and party founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat.
Dozens of people from different shades of opinion including separatists, doctors, traders, lawyers, students and human rights activists joined Malik in the hunger strike outside party headquarters at Maisuma in the heart of the city.
The hunger strike was also aimed at highlighting the plight of Kashmiri prisoners lodged in different jails outside the state, to demand revocation of "black laws" like Armed Forces Special Powers Act and Public Safety Act, Malik told reporters shortly after starting the hunger strike.
Guru was hanged in Tihar jail on February 9 while the JKLF founder was sent to the gallows in the same jail in 1984. Both of them are buried inside the jail premises.
Malik said he had planned the hunger strike in New Delhi on May 3 to reach out to the civil society and invite their attention towards the alleged human rights violation in the Valley and plight of Kashmiri prisoners lodged in different jails outside the state.
However, Malik claimed that he along with over 200 persons, was forcibly evicted by the police and send back to Srinagar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant