JKLF chairman, seven others taken into custody
Srinagar: Eight JKLF leaders including its
Chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik were taken into preventive
custody today in Baramulla district of north Kashmir, official
Malik was leading a party delegation to Palhallan, one of
the areas worst-hit by the ongoing unrest, when he and seven
of his senior party colleagues, including the vice-chairman of
the outfit Bashir Ahmad Bhat, were detained by police on the
outskirts of the village, 30 kms from here, fearing law and
order problem, the sources said.
All of them were lodged at police station Mirgund, they
Condemning the arrest of the party leaders, a JKLF
spokesman said they were visiting Palhallan to meet the
families affected by the ongoing unrest.
"The arrest of the leaders is undemocratic. By such
measures, the government wanted to put a veil on the excesses
committed by security forces in the area," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'