JKLF chairman Yaseen Malik detained
Srinagar: JKLF chairman Mohammad Yaseen Malik was on Friday detained en route Tral in Pulwama district of south Kashmir after authorities apprehended "breach of peace" during a public meeting he was slated to address there.
Malik, accompanied by his associates, was stopped by police at Lethpora, 24 kms from here, and asked to return to Srinagar, officials said.
But when he refused and tried to proceed to Tral, 45 kms from here, to address the public meeting, police detained him and his associates.
Superintendent of Police, Awantipora, Bashir Ahmad Khan said, "Malik was detained as a precautionary measure. There was apprehension of breach of peace."
He was lodged in Lethpora police lines.
Malik has been addressing public gatherings in different areas of the valley for the past one month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport