JKLF chairman Yaseen Malik detained
Srinagar: JKLF chairman Mohammad Yaseen Malik was on Friday detained en route Tral in Pulwama district of south Kashmir after authorities apprehended "breach of peace" during a public meeting he was slated to address there.
Malik, accompanied by his associates, was stopped by police at Lethpora, 24 kms from here, and asked to return to Srinagar, officials said.
But when he refused and tried to proceed to Tral, 45 kms from here, to address the public meeting, police detained him and his associates.
Superintendent of Police, Awantipora, Bashir Ahmad Khan said, "Malik was detained as a precautionary measure. There was apprehension of breach of peace."
He was lodged in Lethpora police lines.
Malik has been addressing public gatherings in different areas of the valley for the past one month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress