JKLF protest march in Srinagar against youth`s killing
Srinagar: Pro-Azadi Jammu and Kashmir Front (JKLF) activists took out a protest march in summer capital Srinagar Monday against the killing of a youth in Bandipora district in police firing last week.
Dozens of JKLF activists led by senior leaders Noor Muhammad Kawal, zonal president of the party, Bashir Ahmad Bhat, Showkat Ahmad Bakshi and Ashraf Bin Salaam, marched from the uptown Maisuma headquarters of the party shouting slogans against the alleged killings of Kashmiris by the Indian security forces.
Bhat told reporters during the protest: "India has been using police and army to scuttle our peaceful protests as the killings of Kashmiris at the hands of the Indian security forces continues."
"Today`s protest march was scheduled to be led by our chairman, Muhammad Yasin Malik, but after we made the announcement, Malik Sahib was arrested and we do not know where he is being detained. "These tactics will not work and time will soon come when India will have to leave Kashmir," Bhatt added.
Police intercepted the JKLF marchers and dispersed them.
Around two dozen JKLF leaders and activists were taken into preventive custody.
The situation returned to normal immediately after the JKLF protest.
No protester resorted to stone pelting or any form of violence during the march, which remained completely peaceful.
"Some of the JKLF activists were detained because they have defied section 144 of Cr.Pc. according to which an assembly of five or more persons is deemed unlawful under the law," a senior police officer said here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant