JKLF strike disrupts normal life in Kashmir
Srinagar: Normal life in Kashmir valley was Friday severely affected following a strike call given by separatist JKLF on the 27th death anniversary of its founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat.
All shops, business establishments, private offices, petrol pumps and banks remained closed due to the day-long strike, which was also supported by both factions of the Hurriyat Conference.
While public transport on all routes remained suspended, some private vehicles were seen plying on roads in Srinagar.
Police and CRPF jawans were deployed in large numbers in the city to prevent any protests by the separatists, officials said, adding that senior separatist leader Javed Ahmad Mir was detained while he was trying to take out a protest march from Abi Guzar area of Lal Chowk.
Mir was lodged in Kothibagh police station.
Bhat was hanged to death in 1984 inside Delhi`s Tihar jail, where he was later buried, after being convicted in the murder of CID inspector Amar Chand.
JKLF has been demanding that the government return the mortal remains of Bhat for proper burial in Kashmir.
Kashmir High Court bar Association has also supported the demand of JKLF for return of Bhat`s remains.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!