JKNPP demands Omar`s resignation
Jammu: JKNPP on Saturday demanded resignation of Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah for "violating the Constitution" by disclosing names of rape victims in the state Assembly.
"We demand resignation of the Chief Minister for violating the law, which does not allow disclosure of identity of rape victims," JKNPP chairman Bhim Singh said here.
Singh, who is also a member of National Integration Council, said Omar has committed a serious offence and mere apology will not do.
Omar had yesterday tendered an unconditional apology for revealing the names of rape victims in the Assembly.
"I tender an unconditional apology. There is a deep sense of shame over revealing names of the victims," he had said.
His apology came in the wake of protest by Opposition PDP which accused the Chief Minister of stigmatising the victims by revealing their identities in the Assembly.
PDP chief Mehbooba Mufti had said Omar`s move was in contravention of section 228(A) of the IPC and a Supreme Court ruling, under which making public the identity of rape victim is a punishable offence.
A 90-page list containing names of 1,326 rape victims was submitted by the government on Wednesday in a written reply to a question by Congress MLC Abdul Majid about tehsil-wise details of rape cases in the last five years as well as their current status. He had also asked for steps taken to prevent such occurrences.
The list, submitted by deputy secretary to the Home department, had in most cases revealed the victim`s identity by giving out her full name, address as well as her parentage.
The Home Ministry is headed by Omar and has a minister of state as his deputy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- RBL Bank's IPO oversubscribed 3 times on Day 2
- GST promises to boost GDP growth rates by up to 2%: President
- Vodafone to start e-KYC from Aug 24 for instant SIM activation
- Belgian jazz musician Toots Thielemans dies at 94
- Finance Ministry expects new RBI Governor Urjit Patel to push growth while checking inflation