JKPPM demands ST status for Pahari people
Jammu: A local outfit today demanded granting of Scheduled Tribe (ST) status to Pahari people in Jammu and Kashmir, saying any further delay on the issue would be against the national interest.
Jammu and Kashmir Pahari peoples Movement (JKPPM) said here that the people, residing in the entire Pirpanchal ranges, border belts and Pahari-speaking part of Kashmir Valley, should be declared as Scheduled Tribe (ST).
"Over 30 lakh Paharis are facing discrimination and step-motherly treatment by the state and Central government since Independence. They are not been granted ST status. Any further delay is not in the national interest," chief executive, JKPPM, Shahbaz Khan told reporters here.
He said that more then two lakh educated unemployed youth from the community are the most sufferers and can be misled or misused by anti-national and anti-social elements.
The JKPPM leader demanded from the authorities to allow them to meet their counterparts in PoK so that they can chalk out plans for the welfare of the community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you