Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government
Wednesday granted a month`s extension till December 31 to the
judicial commission probing the killings of 17 civilians
during the recent unrest in Kashmir Valley as it has not been
able to complete the probe within the stipulated time-frame.
"The commission has been granted a month`s extension and
we hope that the probe will be completed during this period,"
Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar said.
The two-member panel headed by Justice (retd) Bashiruddin
Ahmad had written to the state government to extend its term
by two months for completing the probe, official sources said.
The sources said the Commission, which also comprises
Justice (retd) Y P Nargotra, sought the extension as "the
enquiry is not likely to be completed within the stipulated
"The Commission is presently recording the evidence
produced by the government which shall be followed by
recording of facts from the other side," it said in the letter
to state Law Department last week.
This is the second one-month extension given to the
Commission, whose term was initially till October-end.
The Commission, appointed on July 27 following an all-
party meeting convened by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, was
given three months to complete the probe.
The panel is probing the killings that took place between
June 11 and July 19, the first five weeks of the unrest in
The Commission issued a notification on August 31,
seeking information on affidavits from the eyewitnesses within
15 days. However, the date for filing the affidavits was
extended by a month as no one turned up before the expiry of
the first deadline.
The terms of reference of the Commission include fixing
responsibility wherever excessive force has been used
resulting in fatalities and suggesting measures to avert
recurrence of such incidents besides recommending action
against the guilty.